- Test, test and retest. This creates another way to find bugs and report them to the developer. Beta testing is the perfect way to report problems because the software has not yet gone through a full version. This is exactly what beta testing is supposed to be.
- Share your knowledge in forums. This is similar to the documentation in terms of benefits. Experienced software users have a tremendous chance to help other people who are trying to learn. These users can be an extremely valuable asset for others just learning how to use the open source software.
Open source is important.
Open source is important because it gives everyone the right to study and learn. Proprietary software usually does not offer the freedom to view or modify the code. Open source comes with the ability to learn and share.
Chances are you are using open source software and may not even have realized it. You are currently using an open source software program. WordPress is the world’s most popular blogging and hosting platform. Our blog is written and published with WordPress. Some other popular examples of open source software that you may be familiar with:
- Mozilla Firefox – This open source web browser competes with other popular browsers such as Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Apple Safari.
- Mozilla Thunderbird – This is an open source email client that we recommend to our own customers. Thunderbird is a great open source alternative to Microsoft Outlook.
- Magento – This is a widely used open source eCommerce platform. The Community Edition is available free of charge.
Open source software is widespread and incredibly useful. Take a look around and see what open source software you can use every day. You can save some money and maybe even help expand the open source community. Try it now.
How useful was this post?