Recently, software vendors have seen many different contract models to create a 3D configurator. The spectrum ranges from unlimited contracts to software rental. Rental solutions usually offer them the latest software at an attractive monthly price, but there is a catch…
If you stop paying, you lose your software.
Renting is a good option if you can afford to pay. However, when renting, there is always the risk that the fee can no longer be paid in case of negative business development. In this worst-case scenarion, you immediately lose access to the software, which in most cases is the only chance to continue the business. It`s a frightening thought, but a perfectly realistic scenario. That`s why we think that perpetual licenses are still very important. With perpetual licenses, your software doesn`t expire when your business is facing lean times.
What if you had a choice? Which option suits you best?
These are two key questions that are worth a deeper analysis. Decision makers are often overwhelmed and don`t know exactly what to do with the different licensing models. Some are impressed by the diversity of offerings, while others do not like them. Both sides will have valid reasons.
The german software company Maxon is a pioneer in various licensing models. Both long-term and short-term software solutions are offered. In addition, customers also have the option of switching from a short-term to an indefinite license. In the following we will take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of each individual solution. On this basis you can then decide which type suits you best.
These are licenses that can be purchased directly and offer several advantages:
- This licensing model is the cheapest alternative in the long run.
- If there are no funds available for an upgrade, licenses will continue to work. While it`s always helpful to have the latest software, greatest results can still be achieved with older software.
- There are assets that you can sell when you need the money. This is helpful if you want to change your mind about 3D software and focus on other areas.
- The only disadvantage of a perpetual license is its cost.
These are short-term licenses that offer three major advantages:
- They are ideal for users who work on a project-by-project basis and therefore only need the software for a certain period of time.
- Initially, short-term licenses are significantly cheaper than unlimited solutions.
- After a short-term license expires, you can upgrade to an unlimited license. In this way, you can immerse yourself in the world of 3D without having to make large investments.
However, short-term licenses have some disadvantages.
- Once the license has expired, it no longer works.
- A short-term license cannot be transferred to another person. If you use it for a few months and then wanto to sell it, you cannot.
- The use of a short-term license proves to be more expensive than unlimited licenses over a longer period of time.
Which solution is better for you?
That really depends on your budget and your time requirements.
If you need licenses in the long run…
In this situation, an unlimited licence is always an option. In this case the fee is comparatively low.
If you want to test before you invest…
Short-term licenses make sense if you want to make sure that Cinema 4D is really the right software for you. If you`re satisfied, you can buy a perpetual license at the best price.
If you only need the software for a few months…
Short-term licenses are best for project-related tasks that are of a short-term nature.
If you only have a small software budget…
Short-term licenses can improve your cash flow because you can only pay for short periods of time. Optionally, you can upgrade to unlimited at any time.
Leave A Comment